Join Adam Wilbert for an in-depth discussion in this video Labeling features, part of ArcGIS Essential Training.
- Now that we've got some geo spatial data added…to our map document, we need to start labeling the features…so that we can have a better understanding…of what's being depicted.…Luckily for us, we have an entire database of information…behind each feature on our map.…And labeling becomes a simple task…of deciding which fields from the attribute table…we want to see printed right on the map itself.…To add some basic labels to my cities layer,…I'm just going to right click on it,…and choose Label Features.…That'll add the cities names to the map.…Now, labels are arranged as they best fit…around other features and labels.…Some labels might not be drawn…if they're an area that is too congested.…
For instance, over here in China,…you can see all of these dots here don't have labels.…Let's go ahead and zoom in to that portion of the map.…I'll click on the zoom in tool, and drag a box around China.…Now when the map zooms in, there's more room for labels,…so more of the labels get written.…Let's go ahead and go go back out…
- Getting to know the ArcMap interface
- Geocoding addresses
- Measuring distances
- Adding and importing data
- Labeling and adding graphs
- Editing layer properties
- Seeing multiple views
- Making selections
- Exploring geospatial data with ArcCatalog
- Working with vector and raster data
- Styling the map
- Adding your own data
- Using the ModelBuilder
- Adding a legend and annotations
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started with a Geographic Information System (GIS)
2. Organizing the Map
3. Working with Data Layers
4. Seeing Multiple Views of the Map
5. Selecting Map Elements
6. Exploring Geospatial Data
7. Geoprocessing Tasks
8. Working with Vector Data
9. Working with Raster Data
10. Styling the Map
11. Creating Your Own Data
12. Exploring the ModelBuilder
13. Finishing the Map
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.