Join Adam Wilbert for an in-depth discussion in this video Introducing ArcCatalog, part of ArcGIS Essential Training.
- Geospatial data files can be as simple as a single table…or a complex assortment of files that make up a geodatabase.…When working with geographic information,…it's important to make sure that you do it inside…of an environment that is custom built to understand…how geospatial files work…and how to interpret their contents.…We looked at the Catalog window…that lives within ArcMap in the last movie.…But the Catalog window actually has its own…standalone program in the ArcGIS suite.…ArcCatalog is built to make sure…that you get the most information out of your data files.…You might have noticed that it's installed…right alongside ArcMap in the ArcGIS program group.…
I'm going to go ahead and launch ArcCatalog…and not use any map documents for this particular movie.…To do that, I'm just going to press the Windows key…on Windows 8 here and just start typing ArcCatalog.…That will jump right to its entry where I can press "Enter."…In Windows 7, you're going to find ArcCatalog…inside of the same folder that ArcMap is in…
- Getting to know the ArcMap interface
- Geocoding addresses
- Measuring distances
- Adding and importing data
- Labeling and adding graphs
- Editing layer properties
- Seeing multiple views
- Making selections
- Exploring geospatial data with ArcCatalog
- Working with vector and raster data
- Styling the map
- Adding your own data
- Using the ModelBuilder
- Adding a legend and annotations
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started with a Geographic Information System (GIS)
2. Organizing the Map
3. Working with Data Layers
4. Seeing Multiple Views of the Map
5. Selecting Map Elements
6. Exploring Geospatial Data
7. Geoprocessing Tasks
8. Working with Vector Data
9. Working with Raster Data
10. Styling the Map
11. Creating Your Own Data
12. Exploring the ModelBuilder
13. Finishing the Map
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.