Join Adam Wilbert for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a legend, part of ArcGIS Essential Training.
- Map legends let the reader know what symbology choices…you've made and help them discern…the message or story that you're trying to tell.…Legends include examples of the various point…andline styles you've chosen for your map features,…and what they mean.…Though the table of contents includes all this information…for your own benefit when outputting the map to paper,…it usually needs to be noted somewhere…on the map sheet itself.…Let's go ahead and add in a legend.…Before we do so, we need to make sure…we know which data frame is active.…Right now the "East Coast US" is active.…So if I were to add in a legend now,…it'll be related to this data down here.…
I want to make sure that my legend…is pertaining to the overall world map.…So either select the world map here to activate it, or I'll…go over here to "World Map" in the Table of Contents,…right-click and choose "Activate."…Now I'll go up here to the "Insert" menu,…and choose from the list "Legend."…That'll bring up the Legend Wizard, where we can choose…what we want to see on the legend.…
- Getting to know the ArcMap interface
- Geocoding addresses
- Measuring distances
- Adding and importing data
- Labeling and adding graphs
- Editing layer properties
- Seeing multiple views
- Making selections
- Exploring geospatial data with ArcCatalog
- Working with vector and raster data
- Styling the map
- Adding your own data
- Using the ModelBuilder
- Adding a legend and annotations
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started with a Geographic Information System (GIS)
2. Organizing the Map
3. Working with Data Layers
4. Seeing Multiple Views of the Map
5. Selecting Map Elements
6. Exploring Geospatial Data
7. Geoprocessing Tasks
8. Working with Vector Data
9. Working with Raster Data
10. Styling the Map
11. Creating Your Own Data
12. Exploring the ModelBuilder
13. Finishing the Map
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.