Join Adam Wilbert for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating layer files, part of ArcGIS Essential Training.
- Once you've gone through the process…of styling a feature in your map,…you can save it out to a layer file…that includes both a reference to the original data,…aswell as all the symbology settings you've applied to it.…This can save you time when making multiple…maps that include the same features…and can help keep a consistent look across all of your maps.…Let's go ahead and export our "Hike_ObservationRock"…symbology to its own layer file.…In order to do that what I want to do is right click on it,…and come down here and I have two options,…"Save As Layer File..." and "Create Layer Package..."…Let's go ahead and choose "Save As Layer File..."…That brings up the "Save Layer" dialog box,…and we can browse out to some of our…folders in our "Folder Connections".…
So I go to "Folder Connections", "ExerciseFiles"…we're going to go ahead and put this in "Chapter_10"…and we'll put it in "Chapter 10 Data".…I'm going to leave the name here as…"Hike_ObservationRock.lyr", but if I needed to…change the output type here, I can change it to be…
- Getting to know the ArcMap interface
- Geocoding addresses
- Measuring distances
- Adding and importing data
- Labeling and adding graphs
- Editing layer properties
- Seeing multiple views
- Making selections
- Exploring geospatial data with ArcCatalog
- Working with vector and raster data
- Styling the map
- Adding your own data
- Using the ModelBuilder
- Adding a legend and annotations
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started with a Geographic Information System (GIS)
2. Organizing the Map
3. Working with Data Layers
4. Seeing Multiple Views of the Map
5. Selecting Map Elements
6. Exploring Geospatial Data
7. Geoprocessing Tasks
8. Working with Vector Data
9. Working with Raster Data
10. Styling the Map
11. Creating Your Own Data
12. Exploring the ModelBuilder
13. Finishing the Map
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.