Map readers will benefit from a good understanding of the scale that they’re viewing as well as a key to the symbology choices made. Adding a scale bar and a legend to the layout solves both needs.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Instructor] In order for your map readers to get…the most out of your map,…they'll need a good understanding…of the scale that they're viewing,…as well as the key to the symbology…choices that you've made.…We can tackle both of these needs by adding…a scale bar and a legend to our layouts.…First, I'm going to come up with the LAYOUT tab…on the ribbon, and turn the guides back on.…Then, I'm going to make sure that in my contents pane,…the 2D map is selected, and I'm actually going to…toggle off the visibility of the 3D map,…and I'm just doing this so that…the screen updates quicker.…
By selecting the 2D frame first,…we'll insure that the scale bar that we're about…to add references the scale of this frame.…The 3D map, since it's in a 3D perspective,…can't have a scale bar associated with it, anyway,…since scale varies across the scene.…To insert a scale bar, we'll come up…to the INSERT tab of the ribbon, and,…in the Map Surrounds section, we'll click on the…downward-pointing portion of the scale-bar button.…That'll pull out a gallery of the…
- Creating a new map project
- Adding data sources to the project
- Managing data layers on the map
- Saving a project template
- Drawing new map features
- Querying and extracting features
- Creating geoprocessing models and packages
- Modifying the look and feel of the map through symbology options
- Adding map labels
- Working with 3D scenes
- Developing a map layout
- Sharing the map and data
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Establish a New Map Project
3. Work with Data
4. Geoprocessing in ArcGIS Pro
5. Symbolize Features on the Map
6. Add Map Labels
7. Working in Three Dimensions
8. Develop a Map Layout
9. Share Your Work
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.