The buffer geoprocessing tool reveals areas on the map that are within a specified distance of other features. This is a common task that greatly enhances the analysis of proximity.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Presenter] One of the most common things…that people want to visualize on a map…is to see what areas are nearby features of interest.…You might want to see what waterways are within 100 yards…of a storm water outflow pipe, or how many restaurants…are within walking distance of a new stadium.…To visualize these types of distances…we can create a boundary around an input feature…using a geoprocessing tool called Buffer.…For this example I want to find out what areas…of the city of Seattle are within a quarter mile…of a school building.…On this map schools, university, college,…and kindergarten buildings have already been extracted…from a larger data set of all of the buildings in Seattle.…
Next we need to activate the Buffer tool.…To find it, let's take a look at the Analysis tab…on the ribbon, and we'll take a look at the tools group…here in the middle.…The most common geoprocessing tasks are listed here.…You can scroll through this list…using these up and down arrows on this side of the screen,…or you can press the downward-pointing arrow at the bottom…
- Creating a new map project
- Adding data sources to the project
- Managing data layers on the map
- Saving a project template
- Drawing new map features
- Querying and extracting features
- Creating geoprocessing models and packages
- Modifying the look and feel of the map through symbology options
- Adding map labels
- Working with 3D scenes
- Developing a map layout
- Sharing the map and data
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Establish a New Map Project
3. Work with Data
4. Geoprocessing in ArcGIS Pro
5. Symbolize Features on the Map
6. Add Map Labels
7. Working in Three Dimensions
8. Develop a Map Layout
9. Share Your Work
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.