Join Adam Wilbert for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding a scale bar, north arrows, and titles, part of ArcGIS Essential Training.
- Before we can call our map complete…there are some last minute additions…that we need to consider making.…They can all be found under the…"Insert" menu here at the top of the screen.…Let's go ahead and start at the bottom of the list.…I'm going to choose "Scale Text".…The "Scale Text" option is great…when you know exactly what the output size will be.…For instance, if you know absolutely…that this map will be printed as a 24 by 36 inch poster,…or some other fixed size.…Since the finished area is fixed,…you can accurately say that the map…is at a scale of five miles to an inch, for instance,…or one inch equals 200 kilometers.…
Obviously if the map were printed smaller than intended,…then that statement would no longer be valid.…I'm going to go ahead and press "Cancel" here.…The other option we have is on…the "Insert" menu and "Scale Bar...".…Scale bars tells the reader…the size of the area being mapped,…and it allows them to make measurements across the page.…Scale bars are useful when you…aren't in control of the output media.…
- Getting to know the ArcMap interface
- Geocoding addresses
- Measuring distances
- Adding and importing data
- Labeling and adding graphs
- Editing layer properties
- Seeing multiple views
- Making selections
- Exploring geospatial data with ArcCatalog
- Working with vector and raster data
- Styling the map
- Adding your own data
- Using the ModelBuilder
- Adding a legend and annotations
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started with a Geographic Information System (GIS)
2. Organizing the Map
3. Working with Data Layers
4. Seeing Multiple Views of the Map
5. Selecting Map Elements
6. Exploring Geospatial Data
7. Geoprocessing Tasks
8. Working with Vector Data
9. Working with Raster Data
10. Styling the Map
11. Creating Your Own Data
12. Exploring the ModelBuilder
13. Finishing the Map
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.