Join Adam Wilbert for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding data to the map, part of ArcGIS Essential Training.
- ArcMap documents can display…many different kinds of information,…but they never actually store any geospatial data.…They simply store references to the original data files…plus instructions on how to present that data…such as color and symbology choices that you make…or how to filter and categorize a data being mapped.…So the first step in making a map in ArcGIS…is to connect the map document to a data source.…I'm going to go ahead and start up…a brand new Arcmap project.…If you're on Windows 7,…you're going to need to go to the start menu,…go to program files and then go into…ArcGIS program group.…When you launch ArcMap it gives you…the skidding start up screen…or we can choose from the templates…that we looked up before.…
I also have the ability to choose my recent map files…or browse out for additional map files…that I haven't used yet.…Let's go ahead and press cancel.…I'm going to go to my templates group…and choose this blank map document here.…Let's go ahead and press okay…to start up a new blank map.…I'm going to go up to the save icon.…
- Getting to know the ArcMap interface
- Geocoding addresses
- Measuring distances
- Adding and importing data
- Labeling and adding graphs
- Editing layer properties
- Seeing multiple views
- Making selections
- Exploring geospatial data with ArcCatalog
- Working with vector and raster data
- Styling the map
- Adding your own data
- Using the ModelBuilder
- Adding a legend and annotations
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started with a Geographic Information System (GIS)
2. Organizing the Map
3. Working with Data Layers
4. Seeing Multiple Views of the Map
5. Selecting Map Elements
6. Exploring Geospatial Data
7. Geoprocessing Tasks
8. Working with Vector Data
9. Working with Raster Data
10. Styling the Map
11. Creating Your Own Data
12. Exploring the ModelBuilder
13. Finishing the Map
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.