External Editors is an editing extension for Apple's Photos application. External Editors allows you to use your existing image editing software with the Photos application. The files are sent to the software of your choice, edited, then returned to Photos. This movie provides you with an overview of how it works.
- [Voiceover] External Editors for Photos…is truly amazing software, I have to tell you.…What it allows you to do is have your photos workflow,…but if you have an image that you want to do something…special to, let's say open it in Photoshop,…which we're gonna do in an upcoming movie,…you can do that and still keep everything…within the Photos universe, and it is very very cool.…Another thing I like about it is that it's 99 cents.…You cannot beat that.…Well I guess if it were free you could beat it,…but 99 cents, seriously,…wait 'til you see what this thing does.…
And then they've improved it.…Now, when it first came out, it didn't handle raw files,…but they've made some adjustments on that…and now we definitely can work with raw files,…in fact, I'll show you how before…we actually get to actually doing some editing.…So go ahead and minimize this.…We'll take this shot right here.…This is a raw file, hit the Return key.…We can see that it's raw up here.…Now, in the old days, if we used External Editors…and I wanted to go to Photoshop,…
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Derrick Story demonstrates his favorite editing extensions for performing local adjustments. These tools round out what already exists in Photos, providing the photographer with a complete image editing toolbox. Step-by-step, he selects an image from the library, explains how he wants to change it, and then chooses the appropriate editing extension to complete the job.
- How extensions for Photos work
- Applying color effects with Color Filters for Photos
- Split-toning an image with the Tonality extension
- Creating a black-and-white image with Tonality
- Retouching a portrait with Snapheal
- Using external editors like Photoshop with Photos
Skill Level Intermediate
Photos for OS X Essential Trainingwith Derrick Story4h 16m Beginner
Photos for OS X: Enhancing Imageswith Richard Harrington2h 26m Intermediate
Photo Archiving: Preserving Family Memorieswith Erika Thornes52m 47s Intermediate
1. Color Effects and Filters
2. Black and White and Split Toning
3. Heal and Clone
4. Improve Portraits
5. Use Your Favorite Software with Photos
Next steps1m 30s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.