Editing extensions are powerful software applications that integrate seamlessly with the Edit function in Photos. You can install extensions downloaded from the Mac App Store or directly from the developer's web site. They are managed in System Preferences for your computer.
- [Voiceover] As we prepare to do our work together,…I wanna go over what we're up to here.…And we're going to be working with local adjustments.…Now, there are two types of adjustments.…Basically, in image editing, one is local and one is global.…Global adjustments are when you…apply something to the entire image.…So, for example, if I come here and I adjust the Saturation,…let's say I desaturate this image,…it's affecting the entire image.…That's a global adjustment.…And a lot of times that's all we need to do, right?…Global adjustments are very handy for…just fixing the exposure, the color, things like that.…
All right, sometimes however, we have a specific…area that we want to work on.…For example, he's spent a day out in the sun,…he got a little sunburned on his nose,…he wore his cap backwards, he's got a red line here.…It'd be nice to smooth that out.…So, going to the next image here,…you'll notice that the line is gone.…We still have some reddish areas,…you know, we kind of kept the spirit of…what was going on there, but just sort of made it…
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Derrick Story demonstrates his favorite editing extensions for performing local adjustments. These tools round out what already exists in Photos, providing the photographer with a complete image editing toolbox. Step-by-step, he selects an image from the library, explains how he wants to change it, and then chooses the appropriate editing extension to complete the job.
- How extensions for Photos work
- Applying color effects with Color Filters for Photos
- Split-toning an image with the Tonality extension
- Creating a black-and-white image with Tonality
- Retouching a portrait with Snapheal
- Using external editors like Photoshop with Photos
Skill Level Intermediate
Photos for OS X Essential Trainingwith Derrick Story4h 16m Beginner
Photos for OS X: Enhancing Imageswith Richard Harrington2h 26m Intermediate
Photo Archiving: Preserving Family Memorieswith Erika Thornes52m 47s Intermediate
1. Color Effects and Filters
2. Black and White and Split Toning
3. Heal and Clone
4. Improve Portraits
5. Use Your Favorite Software with Photos
Next steps1m 30s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.