Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Where to go from here, part of Up and Running with Linux for PHP Developers.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
…While you can just use the server for…development, I hope that you're interested in learning more.…Beyond just reading a manual, which you should do, one of…the best ways to learn is to experiment with other Linux distributions.…While this course focused on Ubuntu specifically, many of…the tools and techniques are common to other distributions.…Like programming vocabularies and syntax may be different…but the base principles can be the same.…For example many years ago I learned an incredible amount about…Linux configuration and the command line by installing Gentoo from gentoo.org.…Fair warning, there's a steep learning curve and a lot of documentation to read.…Another alternative is Fedora from fedoraproject.org, which takes a number of…different approaches from Ubuntu and…enjoys a large well-deserved installation base.…
In this course, we focused on configuring for convenience, not for security.…The Ubuntu Security Guide at help.ubuntu.com…details a number of approaches and tools…for hardening a server and configuration…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.