Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Using SSH with and without a password on Windows, part of Up and Running with Linux for PHP Developers.
…I have a secret to tell you.…PuTTY is a great SSH client and there are a lot…more steps to get the Mac configured than there are for Windows.…Under the Host Name, we're going to…specify both the username and the host name.…We'll start with the username, which is…whatever was specified during the Ubuntu installation.…So for me, it's jpeck and then the at…symbol, and then the host name, which is sandbox.dev.…In the next box for Port, specify the port…that was forwarded into VM, which is port 2222.…
Finally, underneath in Saved Session, let's…add the name sandbox.dev and click Save.…Now double-click on sandbox.dev to connect to the server.…The first time we connect, we get a…scary looking message saying that the system is unknown.…That's correct.…It's new and this is a one-time message.…It's okay to dismiss it by clicking Yes.…We've already sent the username, so just specify the password.…It won't show anything as you type.…That's not a bug, that's a feature.…Press Enter, and success.…I'm welcomed to the system and have a command prompt.…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.