Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Troubleshooting MySQL, part of Up and Running with Linux for PHP Developers.
…MySQL is a very well known, battle-hardened service.…It can also bring a site to its knees if it's misconfigured or overwhelmed.…The Ubuntu Server Guide about MySQL at help.ubuntu.com is a good…resource about learning how to manage the service itself within Ubuntu.…The very first troubleshooting step is to make sure that the port is forwarded.…Go to network, port forwarding, and should see mysql…on port 9306 porting to 3306 on the guest.…If not, either add the rule by clicking the…plus, or edit the individual ports so they match.…
When ready, click OK, and OK again.…From an ssh terminal if you're not sure MySQL is currently running…execute ps aux and pipe it to grep and looks for mysql.…If it's not running try restarting it.…Sudo service mysql restart.…If MySQL is running but you can't connect to it see if it's listening on port 3306.…We can use sudo netstat -nap and then grep for mysql.…
The first row tells me that MySQL is indeed running on port 3306.…I'm confident that the server's running so let's try…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
Q: The pecl installation of uploadprogress fails, saying it is not a valid package archive. How can I install uploadprogress?
A: There is a bug in Ubuntu's pecl that was introduced after the course was recorded; the workaround command is "sudo pecl install -Z uploadprogress"
Q: Where can I get the exact versions of the software used in this course?
Q: In Windows, git operations ask for a password. Why?
A: Make sure that pagent (PuTTY agent) is running and has the private key loaded. See Chapter 3, movie 4 for details.
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.