Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Troubleshooting Apache, part of Up and Running with Linux for PHP Developers.
…There's a few more moving pieces in the Apache web server.…All it takes is a typo to mess up…the configuration and the server won't start or reload.…Don't worry, we've got this.…The Ubuntu Server Guide at help.ubuntu.com is an extremely comprehensive…resource, and I recommend it in addition to these troubleshooting steps.…The very first troubleshooting step is to make sure that the port's forwarded.…Select Sandbox.…Go to Settings > Network > Port Forwarding.…And check for HTTP.…
It should be on port 8080 with a guest port of 80.…If not, either add the row by clicking the…plus or edit the individual port so they match.…When ready, click OK, then OK again.…There's a number of ways of troubleshooting the service.…I'm going to start by intentionally stopping the web server.…From an SSH terminal, I'm going to sudo service apache2 stop.…I'll…get a message saying that the web server is stopping.…From a browser.…If I try to go to hpsandbox.dev on port…8080, I'll see a message saying no data received.…
This in part because of browser caching.…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.