Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Running Apache as a Windows service, part of Installing Apache, MySQL, and PHP.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- I previously described how to install Apache on Windows…as an individual component by extracting the Apache files…to the local hard disk, and then running…the HTTPD application as a command line application.…But you can also run Apache as a Windows service.…This is a bit more convenient because it can…run in the background and you don't need to keep…a command window open to keep it running.…Once you've extracted the Apache files,…go to a command prompt and make sure…that you're running As Administrator.…
On Windows 8, you can do this easily by moving the cursor…to the lower-left corner, right-clicking,…and choosing Command Prompt (Admin).…And then, if you see a User Account Control dialog,…click Yes.…Next, change to your Apache bin folder.…This is where the Apache executables are.…Just like before, type HTTPD but now…add two parameters, -k install.…
That installs Apache as a service.…Notice the name of the service, Apache2.4,…without any spaces.…That will become important in a moment.…Now let's go to the Control Panel.…
- Installing Apache, PHP, and MySQL separately
- Activating Apache and PHP on Mac OS X
- Installing and configuring phpMyAdmin
- Installing WampServer
- Installing MAMP
- Configuring MAMP's Apache and MySQL server ports
- Installing XAMPP for Windows and Mac OS X
- Managing MySQL security through XAMPP
- Installing Bitnami for Windows and Mac
- Detecting and handling port conflicts
- Working with Apache and IPv6 in Windows 8
Skill Level Beginner
PHP with MySQL Essential Trainingwith Kevin Skoglund14h 32m Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Installing Separate Components on Windows
3. Installing Separate Components on Mac OS X
4. Installing Separate Components on Linux
5. Installing and Managing phpMyAdmin
6. Installing WampServer on Windows
7. Installing MAMP
8. Installing XAMPP
Installing XAMPP for Windows5m 37s
9. Installing Bitnami
10. Common Tasks and Troubleshooting
Next steps1m 49s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.