Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Preparing your workstation, part of Learning Linux for PHP Developers.
…In this chapter, we're going to create a guest virtual machine using Oracle…VM VirtualBox, the virtualization product we're…using to manage the private development server.…By the end of this chapter, we'll have…a running Linux server ready to be configured.…The first step is to download and install VirtualBox.…From a browser, go to virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads.…This…course uses version 4.3.10, which at the time…of the recording is the most current version.…Historically, this course is forwards compatible with newer…versions, so they should work without an issue.…
If you want to find the exact version that was…used on this course, use the VirtualBox older builds link.…On the download page, there are several options.…The term host refers to your current…operating system, so if you have Windows, download…VirtualBox for Windows Hosts, and if you…have Mac, download VirtualBox for OS X Hosts.…When the download is complete, just run the installer.…It'll ask for administrative credentials, but no other configuration is required.…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
Q: The pecl installation of uploadprogress fails, saying it is not a valid package archive. How can I install uploadprogress?
A: There is a bug in Ubuntu's pecl that was introduced after the course was recorded; the workaround command is "sudo pecl install -Z uploadprogress"
Q: Where can I get the exact versions of the software used in this course?
Q: In Windows, git operations ask for a password. Why?
A: Make sure that pagent (PuTTY agent) is running and has the private key loaded. See Chapter 3, movie 4 for details.
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.