Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Introducing system virtual machines with VirtualBox, part of Up and Running with Linux for PHP Developers.
…Linux is really useful, but it needs to be installed somewhere.…Most people, including myself, don't have a spare…computer lying around to use as a development server.…This is where virtual machines come in.…A system virtual machine, or VM for short, is the complete software emulation of…a physical computer system, meaning its functionality…is equivalent to whatever it's acting like.…A VM allows an entire operating system to run normally within it…and the operating system thinks that it's installed on a regular computer.…A VM typically emulates an existing hardware system,…such as the architecture found in desktop PCs.…
Using this software, you can run multiple operating…system environments on a single computer, even simultaneously.…This allows you to do things like run a…copy of Windows XP within a VM within Mac OS.…This can be incredibly useful for testing or using platform specific software.…Think of it like a matryoshka stacking doll,…where the smaller doll is within a bigger doll.…So what manages the virtual machines?…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.