Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Installing community PHP extensions with PECL, part of Learning Linux for PHP Developers.
…PECL is a repository for PHP extensions that share some of the…same infrastructure with PEAR and was…actually already installed when we installed PEAR.…However, PECL's different from PEAR in that it downloads code that…was written in C and compiles it, rather than downloading PHP scripts.…One of the PHP applications that I'm going to be demonstrating, Drupal,…can use the Upload Progress extension, so let's install it now using PECL.…I'm going to use administrative privileges,…sudo, then pecl, to install uploadprogress.…
All one word.…PECL will download the source code, extract, and compile it.…At the end, we'll get a complaint about the extension being missing from PHP.…That's correct, actually.…We haven't added it yet.…Similar to GitWeb, we're going to have…to create a configuration for upload progress.…We'll use sudoedit, so /etc/php5/mods-available/uploadprogress.ini.…What can save a little time by…selecting and copying the extension equals uploadprogress.…
So, press Enter and then all we need to do is just specify that the extension exists.…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
Q: The pecl installation of uploadprogress fails, saying it is not a valid package archive. How can I install uploadprogress?
A: There is a bug in Ubuntu's pecl that was introduced after the course was recorded; the workaround command is "sudo pecl install -Z uploadprogress"
Q: Where can I get the exact versions of the software used in this course?
Q: In Windows, git operations ask for a password. Why?
A: Make sure that pagent (PuTTY agent) is running and has the private key loaded. See Chapter 3, movie 4 for details.
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.