Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions, part of Up and Running with Linux for PHP Developers.
…Now that all the requirements have been…added, we can install the VirtualBox Guest Additions.…This will share the folder we set up earlier between the guest and the host.…In Linux the path to this folder will be media/sf_sandbox.…The sf is for shared folder underscore then the name of the share name.…To get started let's make sure that the…VirtualBox Guest Addition CD is in the virtual drive.…Open the actual VirtualBox VM window.…Then go to Devices, Insert Guest Addition CD Image.…
Nothing will actually happen, well, at least visually…because we're not in a graphical operating system.…No worries, we'll do this manually.…We can minimize that window again, and then go back to the terminal.…We need to make the CD available in the operating system by using the…command mount, which will attach a file system for a device to the file tree.…Let's see the manual for mount.…Type man space mount, then press enter to see the manual.…We can navigate up and down with the arrow keys, skip pages…with space, and then to see a complete list of commands, press H.…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.