Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Installing the Redis key-value store, part of Learning Linux for PHP Developers (2014).
…Redis is an open-source key value store.…It's similar to Memcash in a number of ways, but also offers the ability to…store different structures other than strings and also…provides the ability to persist data on disk.…You can learn more about Redis at redis.io.…It's also a great caching backend, and I personally use it.…Redis support is also available for every…PHP application and framework shown on this course.…Check out the appropriate project documentation for details.…
The Redis server will be running on local host on port 6379 which is the default.…Installation is really quick.…We're going to need sudo apt-get install and we're going to need the redis-server,…and the PHP extension, php5-redis.…Yes, I'd like to continue.…Once it's installed, we'll need to restart Apache, so php can use the new extension.…So sudo service apache2 restart.…The redis server is now running.…
And PHP can access it for use as a caching back end.…To verify that it's up and running, let's…connect to it using the command line client.…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
Q: The pecl installation of uploadprogress fails, saying it is not a valid package archive. How can I install uploadprogress?
A: There is a bug in Ubuntu's pecl that was introduced after the course was recorded; the workaround command is "sudo pecl install -Z uploadprogress"
Q: Where can I get the exact versions of the software used in this course?
Q: In Windows, git operations ask for a password. Why?
A: Make sure that pagent (PuTTY agent) is running and has the private key loaded. See Chapter 3, movie 4 for details.
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.