Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Installing Composer and PEAR for PHP dependency management, part of Learning Linux for PHP Developers (2014).
…We've been installing services, making changes to…configurations, and doing all sorts of preparation.…Getting a little impatient to see the system in action?…Can't blame you.…In this chapter, we're going to explore how to install…common PHP applications and frameworks into the dev environment.…I'll start by installing utilities for PHP dependency management.…We'll also include some community PHP extensions to add functionality to PHP.…That'll lay in the groundwork for installing content management…systems, like WordPress, and content management frameworks, like Drupal.…We'll explore installing and configuring…frameworks, like Symphony, KPHP, and CodeIgniter.…
Then, finally, discuss best practices for installing applications and frameworks.…We'll start by installing utilities for downloading PHP dependencies.…The first is Composer, which is used for PHP…dependency management, including downloading and…configuring of community PHP libraries.…To learn more about Composer, check out getcomposer.org.…The other utility, PEAR, is used to download and…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
Q: The pecl installation of uploadprogress fails, saying it is not a valid package archive. How can I install uploadprogress?
A: There is a bug in Ubuntu's pecl that was introduced after the course was recorded; the workaround command is "sudo pecl install -Z uploadprogress"
Q: Where can I get the exact versions of the software used in this course?
Q: In Windows, git operations ask for a password. Why?
A: Make sure that pagent (PuTTY agent) is running and has the private key loaded. See Chapter 3, movie 4 for details.
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.