Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Installing Ajenti to monitor your server, part of Learning Linux for PHP Developers (2014).
…A command line interface is by far the most efficient way to manage a server.…However, it's not as intuitive, and information…is spread out across many different places.…One solution is Ajenti, an open source…Linux server administration panel with a Web interface.…It's very convenient for a local development server.…For more information and documentation see the project's homepage at ajenti.org.…A word of caution though, with great power comes…great responsibility and Ajenti can be used to perform…administrative tasks with root privileges some of which can…have catastrophic potential consequences like completely breaking the server.…
Like any tool, be aware of what it can and cannot do.…Similar to phpMyAdmin I consider Ajenti a potential security risk in a…production environment, but for a local development server it can be very helpful.…Make sure you're SSH'd into your sever.…First thing we'll need to do is add the permission…to the package manager for the third party software repository.…This is a one time operation and…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
Q: The pecl installation of uploadprogress fails, saying it is not a valid package archive. How can I install uploadprogress?
A: There is a bug in Ubuntu's pecl that was introduced after the course was recorded; the workaround command is "sudo pecl install -Z uploadprogress"
Q: Where can I get the exact versions of the software used in this course?
Q: In Windows, git operations ask for a password. Why?
A: Make sure that pagent (PuTTY agent) is running and has the private key loaded. See Chapter 3, movie 4 for details.
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.