Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Farewell, part of Learning Linux for PHP Developers.
…We've come a long way together, starting with what Linux…is, how virtualization can be used to run an operating system…within an operating system, configuring the components of a LAMP stack…then extending the system with source code management and debugging tools.…The end result, a portable development environment optimized for…PHP development, is a powerful addition to any tool set.…I hope you've gained an appreciation and…understanding of how the different components of…a web stack work together and how to configure a server to be useful.…Anyone can install software but knowing how to make it useful, that's almost…as rare as being able to driver a car with a manual transmission.…
I sincerely appreciate your time and interest in learning.…Because life is too short to be content with what we already know.…It takes a special kind of person to want to be able…to build something on their own so they know how it works.…I'd also like to thank the wonderful production team…at lynda.com for all their hard work behind the scenes.…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
Q: The pecl installation of uploadprogress fails, saying it is not a valid package archive. How can I install uploadprogress?
A: There is a bug in Ubuntu's pecl that was introduced after the course was recorded; the workaround command is "sudo pecl install -Z uploadprogress"
Q: Where can I get the exact versions of the software used in this course?
Q: In Windows, git operations ask for a password. Why?
A: Make sure that pagent (PuTTY agent) is running and has the private key loaded. See Chapter 3, movie 4 for details.
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.