Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another host, part of Learning Linux for PHP Developers (2014).
…When collaborating with a team, it can be useful to create…a guest with a common configuration, and share that guest with others.…VirtualBox allows virtual machines to be both exported and imported in…a common standard known as the Open Virtualization Format or OVF.…The result is known as a virtual appliance and it's a…disk image with configuration settings that…can be easily distributed across platforms.…OVF doesn't support snap shots, so only the…current state of the virtual machine will be exported.…Let's export a virtual machine.…
First, shut down the target machine.…The easiest way, is just click the X and tell it to send the shutdown signal.…The terminal will report that the system is going…down now, and that the power button was pressed.…The server is now gracefully shut off.…Within the VirtualBox manager, the state is powered off.…To export, go to File > Export Appliance.…We'll need to choose the virtual machines to export.…We can actually package multiple machines into a single archive…if we wanted, but right now we just have the sandbox.…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
Q: The pecl installation of uploadprogress fails, saying it is not a valid package archive. How can I install uploadprogress?
A: There is a bug in Ubuntu's pecl that was introduced after the course was recorded; the workaround command is "sudo pecl install -Z uploadprogress"
Q: Where can I get the exact versions of the software used in this course?
Q: In Windows, git operations ask for a password. Why?
A: Make sure that pagent (PuTTY agent) is running and has the private key loaded. See Chapter 3, movie 4 for details.
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.