Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating the virtual machine (VM), part of Up and Running with Linux for PHP Developers.
…Let's open VirtualBox.…The very first thing we'll see is the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager interface.…At the top there are number of controls for managing virtual machines.…New will create a VM, Settings is for configuration,…Start will boot a VM, and Discard deletes the VM.…Underneath that on the left is a list of all…the virtual machines in your system, which is currently empty.…We're going to have to do something about that.…Click New to create a new virtual machine, which will bring…us to a wizard that will walk us through the VM creation.…
First, we'll specify a descriptive name to identify the new virtual machine.…I'm going to set the name Sandbox.…The type is the operating system that we plan on installing, which, in…our case, is Linux and the version, in our case, is Ubuntu 64 bit.…Specifying the type and version doesn't actually install the…operating system, but it does set the label and icon.…Click Continue.…The guest virtual machine consumes resources from the host and…the amount of memory or RAM needs to be specified.…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.