Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a server dashboard, part of Up and Running with Linux for PHP Developers.
…We're going to perform our first custom development on our development…server by creating a simple dashboard that reads from the database.…Remember, this course is about setting up the server, not how to program.…Therefore, this script is going to be very, very simple.…It'll attempt to connect to the database and…display a list of links to the installed utilities.…If it can't, it'll display an error.…I'm going to use NetBeans to edit this script.…I'm going to go up to Create a…New Project, select PHP Application, and click Next.…
For the project name, I'm going to call it dashboard.…I'm going to click Browse, and I'm going to specify the Desktop, Sandbox…folder, and manually add dashboard, so the subdirectory will be created.…I prefer to put the NetBeans' metadata into a separate directory,…so the project configuration for my specific IDE isn't shared with others.…Click Finish.…A blank project is created with just one file, index.php.…If you don't feel like going through the creation…of this file, just paste it from the Exercise Files.…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.