Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating databases and users, part of Up and Running with Linux for PHP Developers.
…In order to develop sites, we're going to have to create some databases and users.…We're going to create two databases.…One for the Dashboard, that we're going to be making.…And another called Sandbox for experimenting…with application installation, later in the course.…From the browser, in phpMyAdmin, over in the upper left,…click on Server Localhost to go back to the main menu.…Then click on Users.…We're presented with a list of all available mySQL users.…Let's add a user for the Dashboard first.…
So click Add User.…For the username I'm going to specify Dashboard.…For host, I will specify percent for any host.…Password will be Dashboard.…I'll type it again.…And then underneath, for the Database for user, create…database with the same name and grant all privileges.…When ready, go down to the bottom and click Go.…The user and the database were created.…Let's create a Sandbox user and database in the same way.…Click Add User.…
User name is Sandbox.…Host, again, percent for any host.…For the password, Sandbox, retype Sandbox.…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.