Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Configuring the VM, part of Up and Running with Linux for PHP Developers.
To change the configuration of a VM, select it in the…list of VMs on the left, and click the Settings icon.…No changes are needed in the General category, so let's go to the System…category, which are settings related to the…basic hardware presented on the virtual machine.…Go to the Processor tab.…To improve performance, let's increase the number of processors from one to two CPUs.…Under Extended Features, check Enable PAE/NX, which is…the physical address extension which Ubuntu server can use.…Now that System is configured, we'll go to the Storage…category to manage virtual hard disks, optical and floppy drives.…
The storage tree on the left lists the controllers and devices connected to them.…To install Ubuntu, we'll need to make the download a disk image available.…Click the CD icon and on the right side next to…the CD/DVD drive, click the CD to choose a virtual disk file.…Browse to where you downloaded Ubuntu, select it, and click Open.…The next category to configure is Audio.…You don't need it, so uncheck Enable Audio.…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.