Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Best practices for managing multiple development projects, part of Learning Linux for PHP Developers (2014).
…When working on multiple projects at the same time in the…same development environment, there are a few best practices that I recommend.…Within your IDE, treat each project as separate rather…than editing every single project at the same time.…Modern IDEs will crawl the entire site route of the…project, checking for syntax errors and indexing it for searching.…This adds a lot of overhead and slows the IDE…down, especially if you're including multiple code bases at once.…In short, focus on working at one project at a time.…
When writing code, don't hard-code paths into the application itself.…Instead, use relative paths whenever is possible, such as ..to go up a directory.…The same goes for URLs.…Avoid creating absolute URLs.…As a development URL will almost certainly not match a production URL.…You should be using logical project names with semantic meaning.…Test, foo, zzz, temp and so forth are meaningless.…Adding a number to temp like temp2 can induce headaches.…Please don't do that.…It's harder for you and it's harder for members of your team.…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
Q: The pecl installation of uploadprogress fails, saying it is not a valid package archive. How can I install uploadprogress?
A: There is a bug in Ubuntu's pecl that was introduced after the course was recorded; the workaround command is "sudo pecl install -Z uploadprogress"
Q: Where can I get the exact versions of the software used in this course?
Q: In Windows, git operations ask for a password. Why?
A: Make sure that pagent (PuTTY agent) is running and has the private key loaded. See Chapter 3, movie 4 for details.
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.