Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Best practices for installing PHP frameworks and applications, part of Learning Linux for PHP Developers (2014).
…Throughout this chapter, I've demonstrated how to install…a number of popular PHP frameworks and applications.…This doesn't mean that this development environment is limited to things like…WordPress or Symfony, it just happens that a lot of people use them.…What if you want to install something that wasn't demonstrated?…Go for it.…Absolutely.…I do have few recommendations that will make your life easier.…To keep the demos moving quickly, I kept everything in the…same database, Sandbox, and insured that…each project had tabled prefixes configured.…Sounds good on paper, doesn't it?…However, if we go take a look at…the Sandbox database in PHP myAdmin, it's a mess.…
We've got Drupal tables in here.…We've got WordPress tables in there.…Everything's all in the same place.…You never want to do this with real projects.…The end result is disorganization that makes it virtually impossible to…keep tables separated, which matters…especially when importing or exporting data.…For actual project development, take the time to actually create at least…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
Q: The pecl installation of uploadprogress fails, saying it is not a valid package archive. How can I install uploadprogress?
A: There is a bug in Ubuntu's pecl that was introduced after the course was recorded; the workaround command is "sudo pecl install -Z uploadprogress"
Q: Where can I get the exact versions of the software used in this course?
Q: In Windows, git operations ask for a password. Why?
A: Make sure that pagent (PuTTY agent) is running and has the private key loaded. See Chapter 3, movie 4 for details.
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.