Join Jon Peck for an in-depth discussion in this video Automating dev environment creation with Vagrant, part of Up and Running with Linux for PHP Developers.
…One of the many challenges facing developers and teams, is the ability…to get everyone on the same platform with the project, ready to develop.…However, it's very typical for every developer to have a slightly different…computer and processing capacity, operating system…and version, and ability to troubleshoot problems.…The end result is that just getting a project to the point that…they can run locally on everybody's computer, can take hours if not days.…Obviously, this is inefficient.…VirtualBox goes a long way toward solving that problem,…by providing an agnostic mechanism for running a virtualized computer.…
In this course we set up an entire server, including applying…updates, installing VirtualBox Guest Additions,…and configuring the individual LAMP components.…We even exported and imported…entire virtual appliance, demonstrating the portability.…Sounds time saving.…However, what if a project has different server…requirements, like requiring Engine X instead of Apache?…What about setting up a project and the database itself?…
The demonstrations are performed with the Ubuntu LTS distribution of Linux, but the skills taught here are also applicable to other Linux distributions. Every command is described in detail in context, and a comprehensive quick reference is provided for convenience.
- What is Linux, and why should I use it?
- What's a LAMP, and why does it matter?
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Working with the Linux command line
- Configuring the servers, including Apache virtual hosts
- Building a development server dashboard
- Using PHP package managers like Composer and PEAR
- Installing Drupal, WordPress, and more on the server
- Self-hosting Git repositories, including a web interface
- Enhancing the server with debugging and profiling
- Exporting a virtual appliance to use on another machine
- Server troubleshooting techniques
Skill Level Beginner
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Creating a Virtual Machine
3. Using the Server Command-Line Interface
4. Initial Server Configuration
5. Building a Development Server Dashboard
6. Installing PHP Applications for Site Development
7. Source Code Management
Introducing Git2m 16s
8. Enhancing the Development Server
9. Advanced VirtualBox Techniques
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.