Cordova has some limitations if you are looking to use it exclusively to build your apps. In this video, Tom Duffy discusses some of Cordova's shortcomings relative to producing published apps.
- [Instructor] So why don't we use Cordova exclusively…outside of the platform-specific tools?…That would certainly alleviate the temptation…to modify the files for a single platform,…breaking the single code-based benefit of Cordova.…There are two obvious reasons beyond what you've seen…already regarding updating your app to the latest…platform-specific settings.…First, Cordova doesn't include any debugging tools.…Yes, you can test your apps using the emulate command…for any supported platform, and use your web development…tools to troubleshoot.…
But what happens when something goes wrong?…That's really not a problem if the problem occurs…on all supported platforms.…In that case, you'll modify the code…in the global www folder, update the platforms…with any changes you made, then test again.…This is the normal workflow for a Cordova app,…and it mirrors the traditional code, test, debug cycle…of any software project, with the extra intermediate step…of updating platforms.…But what happens when your app doesn't work…
- Understanding Cordova's value proposition
- Installing the Cordova CLI
- Accessing mobile device capabilities, including geolocation and data storage
- Using Android Studio and Xcode in conjunction with Cordova
- Creating platform-specific stylings to match native interfaces
Skill Level Beginner
Ionic 2 and AngularFire2: Building Mobile Appswith Steven Emmerich57m 27s Intermediate
Ionic 3.0 for Mobile App Developerswith Sani Yusuf5h 43m Advanced
1. Cordova's Value Proposition
What is Cordova?2m 21s
2. Creating the Web App
3. Installing and Using Cordova
4. Using Cordova with Platform Tools
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.