Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Tiling and blending materials, part of Up and Running with Plant Factory.
- Hand in hand with material assignment is UV layout…or how the material is applied onto the polygon mesh.…In Plant Factory, there's no UV editor,…and UV placement is determined by…the parameters of the segment itself.…To access those, just select a segment node…such as the Trunk, and go to the…Materials tab, and open up Segment Body UV.…And here we have the controls for the number of tiles.…
U Tile is the number of repeats radially…around the segment,…and V Tile is the number of repeats…along the axis of the segment.…If we increase the V Tile to, let's say, ten,…then we have many more repeats…along the length of that trunk.…There's a Parametric switch here…which allows the tiling to be determined…by absolute distance rather than the length…of the segment.…This is kind of backwards from what you might expect.…
In most 3D programs, Parametric means…to refer to the actual surface itself.…Here Parametric refers to absolute distance.…If we turn Parametric on,…and the tiling values are the same for each segment,…then we will get roughly the same spacing on each segment.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
In these tutorials, Aaron F. Ross shows how to get started with PlantFactory. He'll cover modeling plants and trees, sculpting plants from components, editing plant parameters, adding materials and animation effects, and rendering the results. Plus, learn how to use PlantFactory's powerful node graph to control individual properties and generate plants procedurally.
- Installing and customizing PlantFactory
- Creating plant segments with the Add tool
- Editing and blending segments
- Working with nodes in the graph
- Adding leaves
- Loading and editing materials
- Rendering plant images
- Sculpting with the Draw tool
- Pruning branches
- Modeling with the node graph
- Applying wind effects
- Exporting and importing plant models
Skill Level Intermediate
Vue 6 xStream Essential Trainingwith Larry Mitchell9h 15m Beginner
3ds Max 2016 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 44m Beginner
1. Exploring PlantFactory
2. Modeling Basics
3. Materials and Rendering
4. Freeform Modeling
5. Modeling with the Graph
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.