Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Randomizing material assignment, part of Learning Plant Factory.
- To get more natural results,…we can randomize materials within a node,…and this is especially important for Billboards.…If all the Billboards are the same,…it's going to look a bit strange and artificial.…We previously made all the Billboards have a size of zero,…so let's get those back,…I'll select a Billboard node,…go to the Transform tab in the Parameters,…and set the Global Scale to a value of 0.15,…and we'll give it a random factor of 0.02.…
Press Enter, and now they're all slightly different scale.…But as you can see, they don't look terribly good.…Let's just use the Select tool here,…so we're not distracted by that Draw tool.…And as we get in close, we can see…that those Billboards look very strange…because they're all identical.…Alright, let's assign random materials,…and we can do that from the Material tab on a segment node.…For a leaf, we go to the Leaf tab.…And we have our material is just the default Billboard.…Let's make a new material,…use that pull-down list and choose New Material,…and now we have blank Billboards.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
In these tutorials, Aaron F. Ross shows how to get started with PlantFactory. He'll cover modeling plants and trees, sculpting plants from components, editing plant parameters, adding materials and animation effects, and rendering the results. Plus, learn how to use PlantFactory's powerful node graph to control individual properties and generate plants procedurally.
- Installing and customizing PlantFactory
- Creating plant segments with the Add tool
- Editing and blending segments
- Working with nodes in the graph
- Adding leaves
- Loading and editing materials
- Rendering plant images
- Sculpting with the Draw tool
- Pruning branches
- Modeling with the node graph
- Applying wind effects
- Exporting and importing plant models
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Exploring PlantFactory
2. Modeling Basics
3. Materials and Rendering
4. Freeform Modeling
5. Modeling with the Graph
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.