- Currently all the lengths of our various primitives…are determined by the Node Length Parameter.…However, we can be clever about this…and cause the length to be determined…by the position on the parent.…So, for example, if I select the tertiary branch node,…we can see them highlighted in red.…And some of them are way too long,…they kind of stick out in ways that…don't really feel natural.…We can randomize the plant and see…different versions of that plant.…
We basically want to reduce the length,…but we want that reduction in length…to be determined by the position on the parent.…And to do that, we can use the Parent Parameters node.…There are lots of utilities nodes in Plant Factory,…and one of them will return the parameter of the parent.…And that's called Parent Parameter.…To access control nodes, you can just right-click…in an empty spot in the graph.…And if you're on a Mac with a single button,…use Control-click.…
And we have all the available nodes here.…The one we want is under Miscellaneous.…And it's called Parent Parameters.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
In these tutorials, Aaron F. Ross shows how to get started with PlantFactory. He'll cover modeling plants and trees, sculpting plants from components, editing plant parameters, adding materials and animation effects, and rendering the results. Plus, learn how to use PlantFactory's powerful node graph to control individual properties and generate plants procedurally.
- Installing and customizing PlantFactory
- Creating plant segments with the Add tool
- Editing and blending segments
- Working with nodes in the graph
- Adding leaves
- Loading and editing materials
- Rendering plant images
- Sculpting with the Draw tool
- Pruning branches
- Modeling with the node graph
- Applying wind effects
- Exporting and importing plant models
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Exploring PlantFactory
2. Modeling Basics
3. Materials and Rendering
4. Freeform Modeling
5. Modeling with the Graph
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.