Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Loading and editing materials, part of Learning Plant Factory.
- Materials are, of course,…the surface properties of objects.…We previously hide the Material Summary window…to make space in the interface here.…Let me bring that back from the Display menu,…Material Summary.…And this shows that we have two materials in this scene,…even though it says 3 up here,…don't trust that.…The actual number of materials is displayed…by the number of swatches here.…And these are just the Default and the Billboard materials…that are loaded when you create new segments…and new billboard notes.…
To assign a material to a segment…select that node,…so for example if I select the Trunk…in the graph here,…just select it,…and go to its Materials tab…we see that the default material on a new segment…is Inherit from parent.…And the parent in this case is the Root…and when PlantFactory sees that segment…is connected to the Root…and it's inheriting that Root's material…it just assigns this Default shader to it.…
To assign a material you can either choose…Load material from this pull down list,…or you can click on the button here, Load material.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
In these tutorials, Aaron F. Ross shows how to get started with PlantFactory. He'll cover modeling plants and trees, sculpting plants from components, editing plant parameters, adding materials and animation effects, and rendering the results. Plus, learn how to use PlantFactory's powerful node graph to control individual properties and generate plants procedurally.
- Installing and customizing PlantFactory
- Creating plant segments with the Add tool
- Editing and blending segments
- Working with nodes in the graph
- Adding leaves
- Loading and editing materials
- Rendering plant images
- Sculpting with the Draw tool
- Pruning branches
- Modeling with the node graph
- Applying wind effects
- Exporting and importing plant models
Skill Level Intermediate
Vue 6 xStream Essential Trainingwith Larry Mitchell9h 15m Beginner
3ds Max 2016 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 44m Beginner
1. Exploring PlantFactory
2. Modeling Basics
3. Materials and Rendering
4. Freeform Modeling
5. Modeling with the Graph
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.