- PlantFactory has many powerful capabilities…for generating plants.…But it is not a full feature 3D modeller.…That means eventually you will reach a situation…in which you need to use an external 3D program…to create parts of a plant.…In this case I want to create a cactus, known as…Schlumberger Truncata, is also known…by the vernacular name of a thanksgiving cactus…and I would not be able to create that in PlantFactory alone…because the shape of the plant is kind of complex.…
Let's take a look at it.…In the exercise files, I've got a folder called Reference.…Inside there is a botanical illustration…in the public domain from the early 1900s.…Let's take a look at Schlumberger Truncata.…It's got these very interesting segments to the cactus,…they're known as cladodes.…And really there's no way that we can model this…in PlantFactory.…Instead I created it in 3ds Max, and we can import that…and replace a segment in PlantFactory…with that particular 3D model.…
And I provided that 3D model here in the import folder…of the exercise files.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
In these tutorials, Aaron F. Ross shows how to get started with PlantFactory. He'll cover modeling plants and trees, sculpting plants from components, editing plant parameters, adding materials and animation effects, and rendering the results. Plus, learn how to use PlantFactory's powerful node graph to control individual properties and generate plants procedurally.
- Installing and customizing PlantFactory
- Creating plant segments with the Add tool
- Editing and blending segments
- Working with nodes in the graph
- Adding leaves
- Loading and editing materials
- Rendering plant images
- Sculpting with the Draw tool
- Pruning branches
- Modeling with the node graph
- Applying wind effects
- Exporting and importing plant models
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Exploring PlantFactory
2. Modeling Basics
3. Materials and Rendering
4. Freeform Modeling
5. Modeling with the Graph
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.