Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Generating children with an urchin, part of Learning Plant Factory.
- For our cactus plant, we want the number of cladodes…to split off randomly at each segment joint.…In other words,…we might want one or two or three of these…at each one of these joints.…To accomplish that, and to control the angle…at which they split,…we can use a node called an Urchin.…Let's go into the graph, and right click,…and go to Geometry.…Urchin.…We have a free floating Urchin node.…Just so that we can see how that node works…before it's incorporated into our loop,…let's just temporarily disconnect the loop,…and look at just the Urchin by itself.…
I'll connect the Root to the Urchin,…and now we see a sphere appearing at the origin.…I'll disconnect the segment connection…to the repeat node.…And just connect the Urchin directly…to the segment.…So that we can see how the Urchin works.…And what it does is it sends out…a whole lot of segments radially.…Let's reduce the number of segments…so we can see that a little more clearly.…I'll bring it down to six.…
Notice that, by default, any geometry that goes below…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
In these tutorials, Aaron F. Ross shows how to get started with PlantFactory. He'll cover modeling plants and trees, sculpting plants from components, editing plant parameters, adding materials and animation effects, and rendering the results. Plus, learn how to use PlantFactory's powerful node graph to control individual properties and generate plants procedurally.
- Installing and customizing PlantFactory
- Creating plant segments with the Add tool
- Editing and blending segments
- Working with nodes in the graph
- Adding leaves
- Loading and editing materials
- Rendering plant images
- Sculpting with the Draw tool
- Pruning branches
- Modeling with the node graph
- Applying wind effects
- Exporting and importing plant models
Skill Level Intermediate
Vue 6 xStream Essential Trainingwith Larry Mitchell9h 15m Beginner
3ds Max 2016 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 44m Beginner
1. Exploring PlantFactory
2. Modeling Basics
3. Materials and Rendering
4. Freeform Modeling
5. Modeling with the Graph
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.