Similar to dealing with JSON data, ingesting RSS in the form of an XML file can be accomplished pretty easily using the jQuery AJAX function. The main difference is when parsing the data - as it is in standard RSS structures. Again - normally we cannot use jQuery functions within an Animate project, but since we include jQuery within our HTML5 Canvas template… we are all set!
- [Voiceover] Similar to dealing with JSON data,…ingesting RSS in the form of an XML file…can be accomplished pretty easily…using the jQuery ajax function.…The main difference, in this case,…is when parsing the data, as it is a standard RSS structure…and not something we just kind of made up ourselves.…So to do this, let's go in, and I'm going to paste in…the Ajax snippet from our snippets file.…And here we're using the jQuery ajax function.…
Type is set to get, url is feed.xml,…and this XML file sits right aside our FLA file,…so we don't need to specify any other folder structures,…or anything.…And for data type, we pass it in as xml.…For our success function, we pass through that xml object,…and then we can set the titles equal to,…and here we're using some more jQuery…in order to make a jQuery object out of this,…and then we're able to invoke…jQuery's find function on that to find the title.…
This will find all the different nodes…which match the term Title,…and set them to this title's variable,…which we can see right down here is expressed as an array.…
- Using XML and JSON
- Setting up your Animate project
- Building a carousel container
- Applying animation
- Creating titles with dynamic text
- Ingesting external data
- Rendering images
- Automating transitions
- Designing an RSS display
- Programming the RSS display
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Dynamic Data Fundamentals
About XML and JSON1m 49s
2. Design a Web Carousel
3. Program the Web Carousel
4. Design an RSS Display
5. Program the RSS Display
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.