Join Justin Schwartzenberger for an in-depth discussion in this video Angular pipes: custom, part of Angular 2 Essential Training.
- [Instructor] Creating your own…custom pipes in Angular is fairly trivial.…Basically, involving a decorator,…with a bit of meta data,…and a known method signature on a class.…Let's build a custom pipe for the application…that will display a list of all…the unique media item categories for the media items…currently displayed on the screen.…We start by creating new file named…category-list.pipe.ts in the app folder.…We need to use the pipe decorator,…which is in the Angular core scoped package.…
So let's import that,…and then add @Pipe with the parenthesis.…The pipe decorator accepts an object of meta data,…similar to component and directive decorators.…There are two properties available, name and pure.…So, we use an object literal,…and we set name to a string value of categoryList.…This is the name we use in our templates.…
The other property, pure,…helps define if a pipe is stateless or statefull.…Pure means that the pipe will take in data,…and will return data without any side effects,…just like pure functions.…
Justin Schwartzenberger steps through the framework one feature at a time, focusing on the new component-based architecture of Angular 2. You'll learn what Angular is and what it can do, as Justin builds a full-featured web app from start to finish. After mastering the essentials, you can tackle the other project-based courses in our library and create your own Angular app.
- What is Angular?
- Setting up an Angular template
- Creating a component
- Binding events and properties
- Getting data to components
- Using directives and pipes
- Creating Angular forms
- Validating form data
- Understanding dependency injection
- Providing services
- Making HTTP calls
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Architecture Overview
3. Directives and Pipes
5. Dependency Injection and Services
Router links2m 36s
Next steps1m 20s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.