Learn what you need to know to be a great Android developer. You'll be working with multiple languages and tools, including the new Kotlin programming language, XML, and Android Studio.
- [Instructor] This course is designed for software developers who want to learn how to build mobile apps for Android devices using the tools that are provided by Google such as the Android SDK and Android Studio. There's no question that building these sorts of applications requires numerous skills and if you're a brand new software developer, you might want to start off from the very beginning. There are courses available that will teach you the basics of how to be a programmer and how to work with object-oriented languages such as Java and Kotlin.
In this course and all the other courses in the series, I'll be programming with Kotlin rather than Java. And if you're new to the language, you can start off with this essential training course, but there are many other courses available in the library that specifically are targeted at working with Kotlin in the Android development environment. Kotlin runs on the Java virtual machine or JVM just like Java itself does, but it's much more concise. That is you can get a lot more work done with a lot less code, so understanding the basics of Kotlin will be valuable as you get started with Android.
Android developers also work a lot with XML. It's used in Android for configuration files, but also for designing your screens using a particular kind of file called an XML layout file. If you're new to XML, you can learn the basic vocabulary such as what is an element and what is an attribute in this course XML Essential Training. And then you'll be working with the developer tools. Android Studio is based on IntelliJ IDEA community edition and they're a couple of different courses that you can watch to get really familiar with all the different things you can do in this development environment.
I'll be describing a lot of techniques throughout the series but if you want to learn a lot more detail, go watch these courses. These and many other courses are available to help you improve your basic programming skills so you're ready to learn how to build apps for Android.
- Installing Android Studio
- Creating your first Android Studio project
- Managing configuration files, including Gradle scripts
- Defining screens with activities
- Implementing designs in XML layouts