Learn the basics of the Kotlin programming language for Android development.
- [Instructor] Hi, I'm Kevin Moore. I've been developing Android apps for over seven years, from Android Cupcake to today's Android Nougat operating system. It's an exciting time to be an Android developer. There are many new tools and libraries available that make building great apps easier and faster than ever before. Now there's Kotlin, a new programing language that is 100% compatible with Java. Kotlin has improved syntax, null pointer safety and lambda functions, which allows you to develop apps faster and with less errors.
In this course, I'll introduce you to Kotlin by exploring the syntax of the language, the benefits of null pointer safety, and how lambdas can make your code more concise. We'll then create a photo app using Kotlin to demonstrate these features in action, let's get started.
- Setting up Kotlin
- Converting activities from Java to Kotlin
- Creating an emulator
- Installing and adding Android libraries
- Reviewing basic Kotlin syntax
- Using variables
- Creating functions
- Retrieving images using the REST API from Pixabay
- Layering image views using a FrameLayout and a RelativeLayout
- Building the RecyclerView adapter
- Displaying a high-resolution photo of the image in the RecyclerView