Explore the world of Android app development. Learn the steps to creating your very first Android app in this overview course.
- My name is David Gassner. Welcome to this course on getting started as an Android developer. This is the first in a series of courses that describe the essentials of Android development, how to create simple apps for Android devices using Android Studio, and the most critical components of the Android SDK. After a brief look at the history of Android, I'll show you how to setup Android Studio and the Android SDK on your development computer, and how to prepare both virtual and physical devices for testing.
I'll then describe how to create brand new Android Studio projects, how to define an app's visual presentation with XML layout files and widgets, and how to control an app's behavior with Java code. In later entries in the series, I'll describe the essential steps of Android development in detail, including how to implement an app's design, how to manage navigation and share data between screens, how to manage and present persistent data on an Android device, and how to deploy your app through the Google Play Store and other distribution channels.
- Installing Android Studio
- Creating your first Android Studio project
- Managing profile files, including Gradle scripts and support libraries
- Defining screens with activities
- Implementing designs in XML layouts