Practice Android programming with this simple mobile game project. Learn how to build Android games using Java and the built-in features in the Android SDK.
- [David] My name is David Gassner. Welcome to this course on building a game app for mobile devices with the Android SDK. There are many ways to build game apps, but for many types of games, you'll find everything you need in the core SDK. I'll start by showing you how to display a colorful background and how to define visual objects using graphic files and a bit of Java code. Then I'll show you how to use animation classes from the Android SDK to move objects on the screen, creating clean fluid motion.
I'll show you how I implemented my game's mechanics, the rules of the game using Java code, and how I keep score, storing the player's high score persistently with shared preferences. And finally, I'll play some audio, both longer music files with the media player component and shorter sound effects with Android's sound pool class. I hope the techniques I demonstrated in this course will be helpful as you build your own game apps for Android devices.
- Working with Java vs. C++
- Creating a new Android project
- Defining the visuals: background, menus, and animation
- Defining and managing levels
- Displaying scores
- Managing limited gaming resources
- Completing the game logic
- Adding audio effects