Join Michael Lehman for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Parse for notifications, part of Programming the Internet of Things with Android.
- We talked about using Backend as a Service infrastructure…for doing notifications and computations.…Let's take a look at a specific…instance of that called parse.…Parse is what's known as Platform as a Service,…and that's because it not only provides Backend services…but it also provides computation.…It's one of many different services,…and other examples to know are Dropbox,…there's one called Backendless,…and there's another company called Urban Airship.…So let's go take a quick look at Parse.…So Parse provides the Parse Core…which allows you to post data, monitor things,…it also provides push notifications…and it also provides analytics.…
In Parse Core, you can save data in the cloud,…you can make your apps connect up to social networks,…you can provide local data storage,…and you provide web presence for your apps…without the hassle of maintaining your own services.…You can also run custom app code in the parse cloud.…That means you can do certain kinds…of your own custom analytics or computations…that are beyond the device that you're holding in your hand.…
- Exploring the Internet of Things
- Understanding sensors and effectors
- Connecting inputs and outputs
- Connecting to devices via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
- Creating Bluetooth apps using Android
- Creating your own things with programmable hardware
- Using IFTTT to program things
- Exploring the trends in things
Skill Level Intermediate
Building a Note-Taking App for Android (2013)with David Gassner3h 7m Intermediate
Connecting Android Apps to RESTful Web Serviceswith David Gassner3h 24m Intermediate
Programming the Internet of Things with iOSwith Michael Lehman2h 49m Intermediate
1. The Internet of Things (IoT)
2. Composing a Thing
3. Connecting to Things
4. Creating Things
5. Managing Your Things
6. The Future of IoT
Next steps1m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.