In this video, Doug Winnie walks through how to work with widgets that are part of the Android Material Design spec. Android activities can contain two layout files. One for the content area of the activity and another for the overall activity. In Android, primary actions are initiated using the floating action button that is part of Material Design.
- [Voiceover] The meat of our project is done,…and now we can put some polish on it,…to make it look a little nicer.…The design language that is used for Android…is called material design.…There are a few elements that are a part of material design…that we can use in our project.…Open the project, and open the content_main.xml file…in design view.…At the bottom-right corner is a circular button.…This is called a floating action button,…and it is used for the primary action…that you will complete in your app.…In this app, it's pretty simple.…
The only action we can perform is, roll the dice.…We can update our code to take advantage of this button,…remove our existing button and update the design…of the floating action button,…with a new image and a unique color.…First, let's remove our existing button.…Select the button, and then press the delete key.…Now we need to add the on-click action…to the floating action button.…Open the mainActivity.java file, and we can do that here.…If you look in the onCreate method,…
- Installing Android Studio
- Coding in Java and XML
- Getting a head start with starter templates
- Working with emulators
- Creating a project, variable, and toast
- Connecting XML widgets to code
- Adding images
- Adding game logic with conditional statements and operators
- Changing the data or design
Skill Level Beginner
1. Android Basics
Test your setup2m 56s
3. The Major Parts
4. Make an App
5. Tinkering with Your App
Next steps1m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.