Join Michael Lehman for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding effectors, part of Programming the Internet of Things with Android.
- Again, remembering our four components of a thing,…sensors and/or effectors, compute and connectivity.…Let's take a look at effectors.…Effectors are things that allow you to actually…make something happen in the real world.…Effectors can be audible.…They can be speakers and headphones,…beepers and buzzers.…They can be visible.…LEDs, a flash for a camera, a laser pointer.…They can be tactile, such as a motor…that makes a wheel turn, or haptic,…which is a special kind of motor…which is like the buzz on your device.…
A servo which is another kind of motor,…except that is has very precise miniature movements…so that you can put it at exactly 75 percent or 23.3 percent…and you can use that to control various things…that open and close just a large amount…or a small amount `in very precise ways.…Then relay, which is how you can use a switch…to control a high voltage device…with a log voltage microprocessor based system.…Finally, they can be invisible or inaudible…such as infrared, which you can use both…to control other devices or receive messages.…
- Exploring the Internet of Things
- Understanding sensors and effectors
- Connecting inputs and outputs
- Connecting to devices via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
- Creating Bluetooth apps using Android
- Creating your own things with programmable hardware
- Using IFTTT to program things
- Exploring the trends in things
Skill Level Intermediate
Building a Note-Taking App for Android (2013)with David Gassner3h 7m Intermediate
Connecting Android Apps to RESTful Web Serviceswith David Gassner3h 24m Intermediate
Programming the Internet of Things with iOSwith Michael Lehman2h 49m Intermediate
1. The Internet of Things (IoT)
2. Composing a Thing
3. Connecting to Things
4. Creating Things
5. Managing Your Things
6. The Future of IoT
Next steps1m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.