In this video Annyce will show you how to use the GSON field converter class to persist Lists of Objects as JSON in your SQLite database.
- [Instructor] The Gson field converter class…is used to convert and store fields…as Json in your database.…In order to use it,…we first need to add the dependency…for the Gson cover tool to our application.…And then we can refresh our project.…Let's do that now.…We'll scroll down to underneath where…we've defined our cupboard dependency…here on line 36 of our build.gradle file.…I'll just type Enter and begin to input…the dependency for the cupboard tools project.…And that is nl.littlerobots….cupboard-Tools:…gson:0.3.1.…
And now we can refresh our project.…With that done we now have access…to the field converter.…Let's go ahead and open up our database…escrow light helper class…and modify our cupboard instance…by updating the builder.…(typing)…Since we're going to persist steps as Json,…we will no longer have to ignore that field.…This means that we can remove…the annotation support.…
So here on line 28 where we have use annotations,…we're going to simply remove this.…Instead, we're going to register a field…converter factory of type Gson list…
To begin, Annyce Davis reviews using the de facto data persistence solution available on Android: SQLite. She takes you through basic SQLite concepts—such as how to create a database wrapper and insert data into a table—as well as a few more advanced topics. Next, she covers working with Cupboard, an open-source project dedicated to simplifying your SQLite interactions. To wrap up, she dives into working with Realm, an object database solution designed with mobile devices in mind. Throughout the course, Annyce discusses establishing relationships between database tables, creating and running queries, as well as performing data migrations.
- Overview of SQLite
- Defining a database table's schema
- Exploring SQLite create table syntax
- Executing create table statements
- Inserting data with a foreign key relation
- Inspecting the database using a terminal
- Updating and deleting records
- Working with Cupboard
- Working with Realm
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/24/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover working with Room.
Learning Firebase Cloud Messaging for Androidwith Joe Marini52m 49s Intermediate
1. SQLite Basics
2. SQLite Beyond the Basics
3. Working with Room
4. Working with Cupboard
5. Realm Basics
6. Realm Beyond the Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.