Learn how to share the Android's mobile data connection via tethering or by creating a Wi-Fi hotspot. Find out how to disable the device's Wi-Fi radio to start; connect the Android to a computer via the USB cable to tether; use your Android as a modem for the PC or Mac; and set up a Wi-Fi hotspot to share the mobile data connection with other devices nearby.
- [Instructor] Your cellular Android can share…its mobile data network connection with other devices.…This benevolence comes in two forms.…A direct or tethered connection…and via a Wi-Fi mobile hotspot.…In both cases, for the shared connection to work,…you must first disable the Android's Wi-Fi radio.…Open the Settings app.…Choose Network and Internet.…On some older Androids, you just choose Wi-Fi,…and set the master control switch by Wi-Fi…to the off position.…
This step in necessary because,…well, it doesn't really make sense…for the phone or tablet to supply Wi-Fi…when it's already available.…I've used the tethering feature frequently,…especially when the primary inner service…at my office is down,…or the power's out.…To tether, connect a USB cable…between the computer and the Android.…On the Android in the Settings app,…you choose Network and Internet to get to this screen here,…but on older Androids you must choose the More item.…Look for Hotspot and Tethering.…
USB Tethering.…Here you see what prevents this feature…
- Exploring basic Android operations
- Manipulating the touch screen
- Connecting with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Managing apps
- Creating contacts
- Receiving and sending email
- Handling phone calls and accessing voicemail
- Browsing the web
- Taking photos and videos
- Getting directions and finding locations
- Making appointments and setting alarms and timers
- Managing file storage
- Extending battery life
- Monitoring data usage
Skill Level Beginner
1. Android Operations
2. Customize and Configure
3. The Address Book
5. Make the Call
6. Explore the Web
7. Camera Central
8. From Here to There
9. Plan Your Day
10. Sync, Store, and Share
11. Troubleshoot Your Android
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.