In this video, explore the beginnings of the sample project that will be used through the rest of the course. The sample app includes everything except for the backend code that communicates with the API. This is an incomplete application that you will be completing using Retrofit.
- [Instructor] To help demonstrate…how to implement the Retrofit HTTP client,…I will be using an application I wrote for this course,…called Gist A Viewer.…It is designed to view gists that have been…published to GitHub, by accessing the GitHub…version 3 REST API.…I will be showing you how to communicate with this API…using Retrofit so we can make this application work.…It is available for download on the Google Play store…so you can check it out for yourself if you would like.…
I already have it installed on an emulator I have running,…so let's take a look at what the final product can do.…Opening up the application, you can see…that it is split into four main pages.…The first page allows you to discover gists…that have been recently created or updated.…We can see who is publishing to GitHub…and the name of the first file within the gist.…Clicking on one of these will allow us…to get a little bit more detail about the gist.…
We can see the description, if there is one,…how many files there are, when it was created,…
- REST API basics
- Methods for reading and writing data
- Defining data models with Retrofit
- Implementing an API interface
- Getting data with a Retrofit call
- Authorizing requests
- Putting, deleting, and posting data
- Customizing the data converter
- Working with the request and response headers
Skill Level Intermediate
Android App Development: Enterprise Integrationwith Jon-Luke West47m 51s Intermediate
Android App Development: Data Persistence Librarieswith Annyce Davis4h 52m Intermediate
1. HTTP APIs
2. Get Started with Retrofit
3. Finish the Sample App
4. More Configuration Options
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.